1. the refreshing quiet or repose of sleep: a good night’s rest.
2. refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest.
3. relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
4. a period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquillity: to go away for a rest.
5. mental or spiritual calm; tranquillity.
verb (used without object)
15. to refresh oneself, as by sleeping, lying down, or relaxing.
16. to relieve weariness by cessation of exertion or labor.
17. to be at ease; have tranquillity or peace.
18. to repose in death.
19. to be quiet or still.
20. to cease from motion, come to rest; stop.
21. to become or remain inactive.